Friday, September 12, 2008

Tales from the hospital

I was at UMass Memorial from a little before 7:30 AM on Wednesday, 9/10, until a little after 12:30 PM on 9/11 when Megan was discharged. I was fortunate to be allowed to spend the night, and as a result of my non-stop exposure to Megan’s care, I got a wonderful view into the UMass medical system. I can say, without a doubt, that the level of care they provided was great, though we knew that would be the case from our previous experiences with Megan’s team of doctors. Fortunately, I can also say that the bed-side manner exhibited was fantastic (something you just don’t know about until you get there). There were smiles from the staff everywhere and there were more than a few moments where a funny comment or re-assuring statement was made that made Megan and I smile (of course, some of Megan’s smiling could probably be attributed to the morphine drip, but I digress). Here, in no particular order, are some of the “highlights” that stuck with me:

Jess, a registered nurse, after offering for me to spend the night in Megan's hospital room, and I replied that that'd be great and I'd be happy to just sleep in the chair I was already sitting in: "No way! No one's sleeping in a chair on my shift!" (She promptly supplied a mostly comfortable roll-away cot for me for the evening)

Dr. Phong, a resident on the surgeon staff after asking who the bears with Megan were and being informed they were named Bea and Foolish Heart: "Well, that works for me!"

Kelly, a registered nurse, during the graveyard shift of Megan's overnight after being informed that Megan was finally able to 'make pee!': "YAAAAAAAY!" (This is exactly the kind of response complete with child-like enthusiasm that I'd already made just moments earlier).

Kelly, prior to what I shall now refer to as the YAY-incident while introducing herself, after I informed her to please tell me to get out of the way if I’m sitting where I shouldn’t be or are otherwise in the way: “You’re fine, and Jess already told me you’re eager to help and have been a big help, so don’t you worry.”

Dr Mustafa, a resident on the plastics staff, while examining Megan's incisions and remarking that the covers at this point were 'more decorative than functional', to which Megan replied "then why didn't I get polka-dots?": Big grin and then "I'm not sure if polka-dot gauze is covered by your insurance."

The anesthesiologist, after placing Bea high above the operating room table so Megan could look at her, to which she said "She's going to help": "How's she going to help with her hands always pressed together like that?" (Megan's reply? "That's what the bee is for!")

Pat, a recovery room nurse, while looking at Megan's chart: "Hmmm… I know a Megan Lally... Megan!" (Yup, Pat knew Megan from her previous job at Ameriprise and a familiar face was exactly what Megan needed coming out of her sleep. Small world, eh?)

2 comments:

kathy said...

Sounds like Megan got wonderful care in the hospital, can't ask for more. Hope your comfortable at home and recovery goes well.

Unknown said...

Any more tales??