Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hiatus

Alright, alright. I've had enough of you politely harass me about my blog not being updated... I decided the best way to handle this was to just write a new post. Jocelyn says that I have gone the way of all other bloggers, dropping off the face of the blog-o-sphere.

This past weekend I was in Vicki's wedding. It was great - it was beautiful, fun, enjoyable, all that good stuff. But most importantly (ha ha), my wig was awesome. I borrowed a wig from the American Cancer Society resource center at the place where I get chemo. People donate their wigs when they don't need them anymore, so it's like a "lending library" for wigs. I wasn't interested in buying a wig (I don't care whether or not my insurance company pays for it - I have a hard time getting something like that to use just once).

To me, not wearing a wig is a sign of strength. I think it's strange when I see patients getting chemo and wearing a wig. Lets face it - you're not fooling anyone! And guess what? Most of us don't have hair, either! To each her own, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that getting a wig is not physically comfortable... but it can be emotionally comfortable. I know that since Vicki is a good friend, she would have been okay with me wearing a headscarf to her wedding (in fact, she told me she wouldn't mind if I sat in the pew in jeans if it meant I could be there - I almost wish I took her up on that at several points during the day :-). But I think that being a good friend means not asking her to be okay with me going in a headscarf. I'll be bald for another few months. She'll have these pictures of the most important day in her life forever.

As it turns out, I'm happy I had a wig. There were dozens of people I'd never met before, and they would have all been staring at me, or whatever. The wedding was beautiful, everyone had a great time, and I was part of it.

But, I'll tell you, I don't know if I'll ever wear the wig again :-)

I'm trying to get pictures of me in the wig at the wedding, but I don't have any, yet. Stay tuned...

p.s. Today was my next round of Taxol. Though I'm tired and a bit loopy, I feel fine.

1 comment:

kathy said...

Hi Meg, Glad to hear you had a great time at Vikki's wedding. Hope your next round of chemo is good to you, Have a GREAT 4th, hope you'll be feeling okay to enjoy the holiday weekend with Rusty