Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where's the Gift Receipt for this Hideous Thing?

Sorry it's been so long since I've written. I've been feeling like absolute poop. I think I came down with a cold Sunday night and it seems to have completely taken over my body. I went to work for a couple of hours on Monday then I had to go home. I've been tired and ookey, and ugh. It's like every muscle in my body aches and my head feels like it's in the clouds. It's quite unusual for me not to want to eat, but the thought of food makes me sick. I never thought I would throw up plain popcorn. What on earth could be more bland than that? Well, I stayed home from work today and luckily I'm feeling a little bit less like I wish the world would end.

Anyway, a few weeks back, Rusty and I had a houseguest for the weekend. His name is Mike, and he's from New York, NY. We originally met Mike and his friend, Pat, several years ago through one of the hippie bands we listen to (the String Cheese Incident). We continue to stay in touch with Mike and Pat and we see them all over the country as we travel to see the band. Most recently we saw each other in Denver, Colorado, for the band's last concert at Red Rocks. (From Left->Right it's Rusty, Me, Pat, and Mike).


So, a few weeks back we were planning to have Mike over our house for the weekend to see a couple of concerts that were closer to our home. The plan was to meet him in Northampton, MA for a show and then take him back to our house and see another show in New Haven, CT later that weekend. This pre-arranged weekend happened to be only a few short days after we'd learned about my diagnosis. Rusty and I didn't want to tell him ahead of time because we knew he wouldn't come (and that wasn't the point). Mike is a good friend and we wanted to spend the weekend with him and enjoy ourselves.

We planned to meet at a brewpub in Northampton (I love beer). Pretty much as soon as he sat down I blurted it out.

"What's new with you guys?" he asked.

"Well, actually, a few days ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer". There was really no other way to say it, ya know?

We talked about it for a few minutes, he was obviously a good friend about it and we tried to explain that we really wanted him to come to our house for the weekend, so we didn't tell him ahead of time, blah blah blah. One thing he said kind of sticks with me because it was something I'd thought about myself, but he put it into good words...

"I don't know if you guys are religious at all, but I truly believe that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, and I know the two of you will get through this."

And that would be the jumping off point for the main idea of this post. I do believe that I can handle this (if you had asked me 24 hours ago, I may not have had the same opinion). Rusty and I talked about what Mike said and I imagined a Yankee Swap. For those of you who may not be familiar with the concept of a Yankee Swap, it's a horrid Christmas party tradition where everyone brings a gift (usually something ugly, useless, or just plain hideous) and everyone draws for a number. Number 1 opens a gift. Number 2 opens a gift and decides whether they want to keep theirs, or swap with one that has already been opened (in the case of Number 2, there's only 1 other opened gift). This goes on until the last person opens a gift (Number N) and then they get to choose from all of the other gifts that have been opened thus far. But wait! Number 1 gets to go again. Number 1 is the only person that didn't have the option of trading, so they get the final trade. There are variations of this game, but that's the basic idea.

So anyway, I had this image of getting cancer at a Yankee Swap. I could have let the woman with 7 children have it, I could have let it go to the woman who was all alone and didn't have a husband to take care of her, or I could have let the person who was unhealthy or who had a mean boss have the breast cancer. But instead I got it. (Hey, I could have gotten stuck with a brain tumor).

But yesterday I was looking for the gift receipt so I could return it. I don't want it anymore. It kind of sucks worse than I had thought. I wish I had swapped for something like a hangnail.

9 comments:

Celine said...

Megan,

I found the receipt, but it says "may only be exchanged for store credit". You see, the first person on the Yankee Swap, actually, traded ber brain tumor for a hang nail, you were number two, and did not get a chance for a trade-in. Good thing about it, is all those other people at the swap were lacking the family support, as well as the national and probably now international support that you are receiving and will comntinue to receive until this is a story that you tell a young person with cancer, when you are old like me...

I love you...

Celine

P.S. The store only sells other varieties of yucky diseases.

kathy said...

Meg, Sorry to hear you're not feeling the greatest, I sure hope better days are to come for you. I never did like playing Yankee Swap.
Love, Aunt Kathy

Unknown said...

One of the most profound things I have ever heard was at Stang, I'm pretty sure from Ms. Revil.

God would never send us and not take care of us.

It has stuck with me always. Who is this Mike character, he sounds like a nice guy, why haven't you introduced me? ;)

Unknown said...

You know it's funny that is what my mother and sister said to me . . . "if anyone can handle this Megan can because she is a strong woman"! I was going to tell you that on Thursday. I agree with them and envy your strength!

Louise said...

Hi MB,
I remember when Erica got hurt and we were given little to no hope for her recovery. I looked at the doctor and said, "She's going to be okay. I just know it. You see, God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and I just can't handle that." I was so convinced! Everyone looked at me like I was crazy...sort of with that "oh, poor deluded her" look. Well I knew that I knew that I knew. It was a conviction that was so peaceful and serene. This absolute knowing doesn't come often, but when it does, I no longer question it. Just like I know that I know that I know that you are going to come out the far side of this stronger and better...forever changed perhaps, but it's all good. I love you dearly, Megan, and think of you often. Sending good vibes your way.
PS. I think this Mike guy is pretty stand-up. You really should introduce him to Jocey.
Love,
Louise

Mom said...

Hi Megan:

Remember when you came home from grammar school one day and you had something like a D (it was probably the only D you ever got in your entire life) for effort with the rest of the marks were all A's? It broke my heart but I punished you by not letting you go the dance that Friday night? Everyone later thought I was crazy and/or too strict. I tried to explain to you that It had to do with something like "God gave all of us talents and its our responsibility to use our talents in the best way possible". I went on to explain to you that it was not right for you to have such intelligence and take time away from the other kids in class that needed the teacher's attention.

It is wonderful to see some of your talents "come out" during this time of your life. Courage, resilience, story-telling..... (I'd go on but everyone would say, "Yeah that's her mother of course she would say that" ;)).

We all wish we could take your place and take on the battle that you are in. But we are not you and we don't have the right mix of your talents.

Keep imaging how the chemo is killing off all those tumor cells and how there's millions of coffins inside your body holding the dead cells. You are the maestro directing them all out of your body in the form of your nausea and poop.

Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Ok, who's the cool guy that brought the boob cancer to the party?? Geez, let's not invite him anymore...

:)

Mom said...

Hi Megan:

CORRECTION

It was something like a D in conduct NOT effort. You always do your best whenever you tackle something.

Love, Mom

Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.