Sunday, June 1, 2008

Greetings From Chicago

Okay, I don't have too much time to blog today but I thought I'd send a quick note from Chicago. Rusty and I are visiting my sister this weekend, and my my mom and Billy are here, too. The main "reason" for visiting (other than the obvious joy of seeing Jocelyn) was to do a 5k through the Lincoln Park Zoo. When Jocelyn and I were planning the trip, we had visions of monkeys cheering us on. (rather than throwing their poo at us, as Rusty suggested :-)

So, today, I'll just post a few pictures and then I'll get on with our visit. I was told by my oncologist to take it easy, but my time was about the same as the worst I've ever done not on chemo, so it wasn't too bad :-)

Here is a picture of us at the zoo before the race:

This is me and Mom pinning our numbers on our shirts. Jocelyn is a little camera-shy, so she managed to get out of this picture:
This is us putting our timing chips on our shoes. It was a little tougher for Jocelyn to get away from the camera in this position :-)

Me before the race:

This is a picture from the architecture tour we took - it's a popular tourist activity. Several companies offer tours on the riverboat where they point out interesting facts about the city, the architecture of the many buildings that line the river, etc. I like this building - the Chicago Merchandise Mart. It's so big, it has its own ZIP code! It took forever for the boat to move far enough away that I could actually get the entire building in the viewfinder:

And here's a picture of the Chicago skyline. The large building in the center back is the Sears Tower.
Okay, that's it. I promise to be better about blogging this week...

4 comments:

Maura said...

No chip, no time! Have you ever gone to a store where they take a video of you running and tell you what the best shoes are for you? It's great.

Unknown said...

I highly recommend running through a zoo. The kangaroos looked so confused!!

Unknown said...

Just thought someone might want to see the girls running. Go to http://picasaweb.google.com/wrpaul1/ZooRace to see them

Bill

Megan said...

Hey Maura -
Funny you should ask... I have a gift certificate for a store that does that, but I haven't gone, yet. My friend just gave it to me a couple of months ago (thanks, Terri!). I do hope to go soon.