Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chemo Round 4

I had my fourth round of chemo today, which was my final round of Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Boy, this day couldn't come soon enough. I'm looking forward to the switch to Taxol, which is supposed to be easier on my body than the A/C treatments. With the Taxol, I'll have an overall achy feeling, but the nurse told me today that there aren't really any nausea problems with it.

Some good news - my tumor is now unnoticeable with a manual exam. I had noticed about a day or so ago that I could no longer feel it. It may still be there, but if you've ever felt a boob (haha) you know that there's a certain amount of natural lumpiness. That's exactly how it feels right now - there isn't a defined tumor-like lump. Mr. Wizard (the medical oncologist) agreed, and seemed quite pleased. In fact, I think he said it was "fantastic". :-)

I was also quite pleased about my blood counts. They were late getting the results, so I didn't get a full discussion with Mr. Wizard about that, but I was concerned because last time my hemoglobin was way down and he said that I was "borderline" as far as treatment goes. That might mean that I wouldn't be able to have today's treatment as scheduled, because I would need Procrit to help boost my hemoglobin.

That would not do. The rest of my summer is based on "chemo weeks" and "off weeks". And many things were scheduled before that concept existed in my vocabulary, and serendipitously a lot of events worked out well. My trip to Chicago last weekend was one of them. Brimfield was a good week. More importantly, my future events are on good weeks, too. My next scheduled trip to Chicago in August is one, (I really miss Jocelyn :-) and Vicki's wedding (in which I am a bridesmaid) is on another good week.

So, I decided last week that I had to really focus on eating very well to boost my hemoglobin levels. I had kale with dinner nearly every single night. Poor Rusty - he hates the smell of kale cooking and detests the taste of kale even more. But he was very happy to participate when we went to Lawry's Prime Rib restaurant with Jocelyn for our anniversary (Thanks, Dad & Sharon!) when we were in Chicago. This treatment, my hemoglobin levels were actually up over last time (and I was just hoping to maintain to keep my schedule on track). I was quite thrilled.

Okay, one more tidbit...

Last night we went to see the Red Sox with Mom & Billy. Mom got the tickets through a business contact. OMG, these were the best seats I've ever seen! I have a picture of our view of the field:

That picture really doesn't do it justice because it's from my camera phone. Those guys in blue are in row 1, and we're in row 6. Objects in the camera phone are closer than they appear ;-)

And this was so cool... A beer man in the stands!! This particular beer man was serving Miller Lite, so I had to take a picture for my dad:

If you've been to other ballparks but you haven't been to Fenway in a few decades, this may not be that shocking. In all other areas of the ballpark, they do not sell beer in the stands. If you want a beer, you've got to go out to the concourse and stand in a mile-long line to get one. Now, I wasn't all that thrilled with their selection (especially for such good seats - don't they think these fans would prefer a Sam Adams or a Guinness? Hell... charge me 9 bucks while you're at it!), but I appreciate the effort. I, of course, had my one alcoholic beverage of the day outside the ballpark at the Boston Beer Works microbrewery. I had a Victory White ale. Mmm... beer. Rusty had to get a Miller Lite from the beer guy in the stands simply for the novelty factor.

Jocelyn said that she could see us a lot on ESPN, but we weren't very visible on NESN. Oh well. The important part was our view of the game, not everyone's view of us. We had such a great time and my mom and I ate kettle corn until our stomachs hurt (which is really the only way I know how to eat kettle corn).

So, after I posted, it occurred to me that I forgot to ask everyone... what's YOUR favorite guilty pleasure TV show? (clearly, my mom knew I meant to ask that question :-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a man at US Cellular Field (White Sox) who goes through the stands with a backpack full of frozen margaritas!! Now that is awesome.
I also Tivod the whole game so you can watch it when you come out here next. I was so excited for you!

kathy said...

Meg, I tried to find you at the game, but I was watching NESN. Sure hope you had a great time. It would have been neat to be at the game last night with the FIGHT. Glad you had a real nice time at Jocey's. I'll have to get there real soon. I don't really have a favorite show, mostly sports and some sitcoms, my fav is TWO AND A HALF MEN. LOVE that show, find everyone funny. Uncle Dennis would be proud of you consuming KALE, 9poor Rusty), Boy has he been a trooper. Love, Auntie Kathy

dawn said...

hey ,great seats! glad to hear the good news I read your blogs often but usually don't have a chance to write .I have been asking alot of question to our resident breast expert .I have convinced my dad to go for the brac test> they say if he's negative I have less of a chance but we all know better. I love your sense of humor though this all I can't tell you how wonderful it is to hear Rusty's support I know you can get through this but it helps to have a great support system too!!!! love Dawn

Louise said...

Hi Megan,
That's great news about the tumor. I am glad you are soon switching to Taxol. Hopefully, that will take care of some of your Ugh faces. You guys really had great seats for the game! I just got back from Minnesota and we went to a Twins/Orioles game. I thought our seats were great until I saw yours. I am sooo jealous. It was also nice to see the pictures from Chicago. I am so happy that you all got to run. I know you probably have five gazillion suggestions about your low hematocrit, but I just couldn’t resist! Here are some suggestions that you may not know about: seafood (yum), apricots and raisins, nuts (yum again), beans and molasses (sort of like the Boston-baked kind), brown bread or pumpernickel bread (to go with those beans) spinach and broccoli and of course liver (yech – unless you like pate). Also, Vitamin C will boost iron absorption, so drink juice with your meals. Try to avoid tea with your meals because the tannin in tea can block the absorption of iron and so can milk. My guilty pleasure show is Top Chef, and I don't even cook! Just ask memere, she'll tell you.
Missing and loving you,
Louise
XXOX
ps. Had a great time in Worcester. Rusty is the bomb.

Celine said...

Dearest Megan,

Denny and I had such a great time in Massachusetts. t was really nice having dinner with the gang, and seeing you and Rusty in your home sweet home. Denny has finally met the entir family of brothers and sisters, but still has three nieces to meet. Hopefully we can do that soon. I loved the picture that Billy did of the sisters on the quilt. O.K. Favorite television show Dog Wisperer. I am trying to get Pascal to behave at his best. He did really good on the flight, but maybe goofed up a bit at Uncle Pete's house. Sorry I have been absent, but somebody pressed fast forward on my life. Trying to keep up and in touch

Love alsways...
Celine