Thursday, May 8, 2008

Emend, Amen!

I'm definitely feeling lots better this round than last round (thanks to the addition of the once-forgotten anti-nausea meds). I feel a little ookey today, but not too bad. Strangely enough, I kind of appreciate feeling crappy now that I know it will eventually go away. It's like I know the medicine is working if I don't feel well. So, I changed my "today I feel" because I definitely started feeling like I didn't want to eat (mildly nauseated) at some point today after lunch.

And now for my favorite news - I think my hair is finally starting to fall out!! Thank goodness. Why, you say? I can't wait to shave my head. It's not something I've "always wanted to do" as I've heard other people say, but I think it will be a lot of fun. And it feels like the next step. That, and I've got lots of beautiful scarves, bandannas, and hats to try out ;-) So, if you are all wondering - tomorrow is "Shave Your Head In Solidarity Day". I don't care if you do it, I just want you to know that tomorrow is the day, and I will absolutely post pictures thanks to my dad, who I don't think is particularly excited to watch me shave my head, but I am so happy he will help.

So... I thought this would be a good chance to show off some interesting pictures of celebrities with shaved heads. And then tomorrow it will be me!

The first is of Natalie Portman. At work, there are three men who have shaved their heads in solidarity with me (another man cut off his ponytail - a big step for him!). Ironically, up until now, I've been the one with hair! I will try to post pictures of them soon, but one of them was being very supportive and noted that some women look quite good with shaved heads, and he mentioned Natalie Portman, the girl from the latest Star Wars movies. One can only hope ;-)


Then my dad remembered Melissa Etheridge, who actually survived breast cancer. So, I thought this one was fitting.

This one is my shaved-head inspiration - Ani Difranco. She's my favorite musician, a singer-songwriter. Her hair has been all over the map, from shaved, to dreadlocks. And she always looks hot. Here's an old picture of her with her head shaved.


And this one is my cancer inspiration. For those of you who don't know, this is Lynette from Desperate Housewives, one of my favorite TV shows. Lynette has cancer on the show, and she is totally the strong woman kicking cancer's ass that I would like to be. It's more than that - she's very principled, level-headed (mostly), and so "real". And she ties a mean headscarf. ;-)


And this is the one chick I hope to God I don't look anything like. Who can forget Britney Spears? As I always say... you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl ;-) Oh Britney - I don't know what's worse... the crazy impulsive hairdo, the Red Bull (does that girl need any more substances in her system?), or the cigarette - classy, real classy.


Anyway, tomorrow I plan to post you will see pictures of me, hopefully looking more Ani/Natalie/Lynette, less Britney ;-) Gotta go now, though... I've gotta learn how to tie a headscarf!

10 comments:

Louise said...

Good Evening Megan,
Just thought I'd check in before going to bed to see how you are feeling. We are in the midst of a tornado watch so I can't go upstairs yet. Not so good that you're feeling pukey but good to visualize the treatment working. Good luck tomorrow as you "bare" it all. I'll support you in spirit, of course, but I think I'll keep my hair. Grandmas don't look so cute bald. At my age, I'm afraid it would never come back!!!
Good nite MB..thinking of you...
Love
Louise

Melissa said...

Hi Megan -

I can't wait to see the new look! I know you've got a cute, perfectly shaped cranium hiding under there...

:)

Celine said...

Dear Megan....

I spent a good bit of time responding to your last post. Unfortunately, I did not see that there was a new post from you. (Please review the *8* response to your last post.)

The mood indicatior looks like the "Pain chart" that I ask my patients to refer to, to establish their level of pain. Ookey is not on the chart, but if it is, it would probably be a 6-7 on the scale, with one being a bright smiley face (no ookeyness), and 10 being a crying smiley (probalby really sad) face. I am glad that this round has been a bit easier for you, and I am SOOOOOOO Glad that your tumor shrunk.

The pink ladies got together today to send you a special message. They were much better today (and yesterday) than last week. The picture says.......

"WOO HOO!" I of course had to hold the "exclamtion point". If you look at the picture closely....

1. You will see the pink roses in the background... (Thank you Darlene)

2. You will see that the letters that make up the WOO HOO! Rise as the HOO comes into view. We really tried hard to express our glee that you are responding to c/t.

The pink ladies really love you, especially the one on the end, and we are keeping the "WOO HOO!" letters that we printed and are holding up for you, for the next good news that you are going to share with us.

WOO HOOO!

Love always....
Celine

P.S. Maura, thank you for sharing.. tell your mom I saif "Hi!"

xox

Unknown said...

Let's not forget about Sinead O'Connor, Sigourney Weaver in Aliens and Demi in GI Jane! Actually, we let's forget about Sinead, shall we?

Good luck, Megan. I bet you'll look 100x cuter than Natalie in V for Vendetta :)

Unknown said...

And I forgot about Samantha in Sex and the City!!!

Celine said...

O.K. Girls...

Easy on the BS... I mean Brittany Spears....

Do I need to mention she is from the crippled state of Louisiana????! Duh! Who would even think about drinking a red bull and smoking a cigarette?

BTW I can soooo take on Melissa Etheridge in a Karaoke contest... "I'm the only one"

I am still working on the "solidarity (not sympathy) cut...."
I am a slow decision maker tooo Megan...

Hugs....

Celine ;)

kathy said...

Hey Meg, I'll bet you're BEAUTIFUL without your hair, you've got a smile that lights up a room when you walk in. Think of all the time you'll save in the morning, no washing and blow drying you hair. Hope your still feeling pretty good. Love Aunt Kathy

Melissa said...

The naked noggin is totally bad-ass!

:)

Melissa Wahlstrom said...

Megan I love the look you toatlly pul it off

Louise said...

Hi Megan,
We just got back from Liana's birthday dinner. She turned 25 today. Hard to believe. Jenn, Erica, Liana and I were talking about your blog and we want you to know that we think that you are an awesome writer. We also want you to know that the Lovelands, the Whitneys, and the Prices are all praying for you - thinking of you - and sending magical Karma your way. Jim said he's jealous of your new look. He thinks your haircut looks much better than his (we agree). We elected him as the family "solidarity day" designee. I am somewhat ashamed to reveal that he ran unopposed. In honor of you, he shaved his head extra close today ;-) and even lotioned it so it would shine for you :-). He drew the line at letting me draw a pink wink on it, though.
Hope today was a better one for you and that you're at least one up from ookey.
Sending hugs and kisses,
Jim, Louise, Jennifer, Liana, Erica (et al)
XXOX