Monday, May 5, 2008

All I Really Need To Know I Learned in 9th Grade Biology

SPOILER ALERT!!!! If you are related to me on my paternal side and/or you do NOT want to know the results of my genetics test, this post contains that information. I will warn you later on. It's at the end, so you can continue to read the rest of the post. I feel like I'm giving away the next episode of LOST or something, but I know that some people do not want to know about this stuff, and if they're related to me, I could inadvertently be giving them information they don't want to know. Okay...

Today I met with the genetic counselor who gave me the results of the BRCA (pronounced BRACK-ah) analysis. Before I go into the results, I want to explain exactly what this is all about. You may have heard about the BRCA gene mutation. Or maybe you haven't. It's a fairly recent scientific breakthrough where the mutation of 2 specific genes, BRCA-1 and BRCA-2, has been linked to certain cancers (most notably breast and ovarian cancer). When you have a problem with them, you say you "have the gene (or BRCA) mutation" as opposed to saying you "have the gene" (we all have the gene).

When functioning properly, these genes help prevent tumors and these genes are found in every cell of the body. We all have two copies of these genes - one copy from our mother and one copy from our father (the sperm bank, the milk man, etc). If you have the mutation, however, you now only have one functioning copy of the gene (or genes). That is, every cell in your body has at best one functioning copy. I guess if you were unlucky enough to have two parents with the mutation you could technically have zero functioning copies, but that would likely mean your parents came from Virginia and are cousins. That's why you shouldn't marry your cousin.

Anyway, due to certain factors (most likely environmental), the one working copy of your BRCA gene could also become damaged. These environmental factors could be things like smoking, drinking (oops), taking birth control pills (oops again), exposure to toxins, etc. It doesn't happen in all cells at the same time - it can happen in only some. Also, it depends on where it happens. If the one working copy of the BRCA gene fails in, say, a blood cell, nothing happens. But if it happens in a cell that makes up breast tissue, your body's genetic defense against breast cancer doesn't work.

It now seems obvious that having this gene mutation goes hand in hand with having a higher risk for developing breast and other cancers. I want to go over some statistics related to this in the
nifty pamphlet the genetic counselor gave me.

First is a chart showing the increased risk of getting cancer comparing the normal population vs. BRCA gene mutation carriers (numbers are percentages, and actually represent the worst case risk since there are ranges for the BRCA numbers)

Wow. Almost make me never want to drink again... almost.

The next chart shows how certain preventative measures can reduce the risk of getting cancer.

Most importantly, those who have the mutation or who are at risk of having the mutation will benefit from increased surveillance. This means getting mammograms early (preferably, earlier than the age that the youngest close relative was when she was diagnosed with cancer). For example, if your mother or sister had breast cancer at 35, you would want to be screened before age 35.

OKAY HERE'S THE PART WHERE YOU MAY WANT TO STOP READING!!!

Okay, still there? I figured that didn't work with the condom post, so I doubt anyone will stop reading now, either. ;-)

So, as I suspected I do have a genetic mutation of my BRCA-2 gene. Specifically, it's the germline mutation 2024del5 (whatever the hell that means), resulting in a premature truncation of the protein at amino acid position 599 (sure, whatever). I write that because I just wanted to clarify that the mutations are different - it's not a single mutation.

Any child I have would have a 50% chance of having the mutation. By default, my mother or father has it (given the family history, it's most definitely my father). And my sister has a 50% of having it.

Having this mutation means that I am much more likely to get cancer again, and the recommended treatment is probably going to be to have both of my breasts removed. I don't know if I really want to do that, so I'm going to do more research and think about it a lot more. I'm just letting you know now, please don't tell me that you think I should just "do it" (have a double mastectomy). I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Some people say that it doesn't matter if I don't have my boobs as long as I'm still alive. I know it's well-meaning, but I'll say right now that kind of offhand comment pisses me off (and if you HAVE said that to me, consider it your free pass :-). It's not vanity, it's identity. If you think it's an easy decision, you probably just think differently than me (and that's okay!). It's not that I don't value the opinion of my friends and family, in fact I really do. In the past few weeks, very many times I have heard something that just made me think differently and helped me form a well-thought out opinion. I don't want to discourage people from talking to me about it, I just want to make the statement that it's something I'm sensitive about.

And, finally, although this post may seem kind of gloomy, I wanted to give two more important pieces of information about the genetic testing lest you all call your doctors to get the genetic test (this is for you, Jules!). Only 5-10% of breast cancers are actually hereditary. Also, doctors don't recommend that everyone go out and get tested for the gene mutation. It's typically only ordered if you have 2 or more family members who have been diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer before the age of 50.

One last bit of housekeeping... Are you still there? I realize that when I miss a few days you all get worried, but sometimes that just means I'm too well to blog! I'm working on a way to quickly update a daily status so that you know I'm doing okay. Stay tuned. Also, this week's chemo got moved up to Wednesday.

11 comments:

Maura said...

Why doesn't anyone want to know?

Megan said...

Well... I figured I'd be extra safe by putting that in there because some people consciously choose not to do genetic testing because they don't want to know. And my results could indicate a higher/lower probability of them having the gene mutation. So, I wanted to give them the option of not knowing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info. Also, do you have any sense of the relative weight of risk factors? My medical student friend John indicated that the gene mutation has a much more severe bearing on getting cancer than other risk factors, like weight, drinking, birth control, having kids, etc. I have a vested interest, so I'm just curious to see how much impact the things I have control over matter in comparison to the things I don't. Thanks!

Maura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

This whole subject can get very touchy.
Since it is a dominant gene it will be passed onto his/her children.
Some might look at this as a moral issue.
Then we get into things like "selection" for the gene pool that we never considered before. For instance, I could envision where a sector of society would demand that we castrate males or "fix" females to prevent "contamination" of the gene pool. Or just get rid of the ones who have the "defect". Look what Hitler did to the Jews.
And, does an individual have the right to insist on a gene study before selecting the optimum mate?
In our wacked out society, I can see a situation where a child might sue their parents for cruel and unusual punishment if the child determined that the parents consciously bore children with the knowledge that they had the defective gene.
A pandora's box and a blessing at the same time. A blessing because with the knowledge that one is carrying the mutation, there are many things that can be done to mitigate the effects of the disease.

Love, Mom

Louise said...

Hi MB,
That's some pretty impressive blogging. I bet you had Mrs. Dougal for 9th grade biology :-) I can certainly appreciate your advice on our advice. We sometimes forget that our opinions aren't held universally. Imagine that! Please forgive us when we step on your heart. We will probably do it often, maybe even intentionally (or rather, well-intentioned), but only because we love you to the moon and back. I am absolutely certain that you will come to the right decisions for you, and I will pray that you continue to receive wisdom and insight.
Love,
Louise

kathy said...

Meg, As you may or may not know I am one of those who chooses at this time not to have the testing done. So Sorry to hear you news, IT REALLY SUCKS. Good luck coming to a decision, it won't be easy. I will truly understand whatever decision you make at this time. LOTS OF LOVE, Aunt Kathy

Celine said...

Megan,

Today's picture is of a bouquet of pink roses that one of my patients brought here in your honor. I took the liberty of printing the cute picture of you that you posted yesterday and placed it by the vase.

About today's blog.....Wow, that's some heavy blogging. It made me wonder if I would want to know if I had the gene mutation. At this point inmy life, I have had so many environmental contributers. To name a few, smoking for twenty five years, soaking up the sun forever, drinking o' the spirits, and a vice or two that shall remain unmentioned.

But, remember, as solid as the science seems, as compelling as the numbers and the odds are, there are many other influences that will affect your chances of developing cancer, as well as your outcome if you did (this is a pass for you Jocey).

There is the power of prayer, positive thinking, intention and just plain miracles. Wisdom is what we should seek, not just facts and statistics.

Megan, there are things I want to share, and some of them may be opinions or observations, but I don't want to provide them unsolicited. Have you considered polls of the bloggers?

Love always...
Celine

Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LilSass said...

Hey Megan, I am SO glad I stumbled upon your blog today! This is the only post I've read so far so I don't know what's new since your test results but I can say this much ... I was 23 or 24 when I found out I was BRCA2 positive. And despite others' knee jerk reactions that this is a devastating thing (and it is difficult, don't get me wrong) it is also deeply empowering and can be looked at as a gift. Of my 3 aunts who tested positive and have had cancer (3 times for one of them and 4 times for another), they think my sister and I are LUCKY to have known at our young age. I don't want to spend too much time on YOUR blog talking about it but I just want to be encouraging and let you know that there are so many of us out there in your shoes! It doesn't have to be the "death sentence" people think it is. Use this as a way to guide your screening/treatment/prophylactic care, etc.

Two more quick things and then I'll shut up ;-) ... the term "hereditary" and "genetic" are not the same thing. The cancers that run in our families are based on genetic mutations, meaning they are "rooted" in genetic abnormalities. Several medical ailments and diseases can be hereditary and not genetic - they are not one in the same. So .... a LOT of breast cancer is hereditary. Only 5% are genetic. These terms get very confusing for a lot of people so I just wanted to clear that up.
And lastly, I wanted to address this b/c I think one of the other commenters mentioned this. Living a healthy life is always very important. Exercising and not drinking too much (DAMN!) can always give us a leg up. However, because our genes are stubborn, they can still overpower environmental things. Again, if cancer ran in your family (meaning it was hereditary), living an UBER healthy life is really important. For us, it's not so simple. There is a lot of debate out there about environmental triggers and some people don't "believe" that genetic/hereditary cancers exist ... that they're all due to toxins in the world.

So .... the solution to all of this is knowledge. Knowledge about screening and lifestyle and personal choices and what have you.

This is the longest comment in the history of blogs, I'm sorry. Here's a link to my link about my BRCA posts:

http://lilsass.blogspot.com/2008/04/brca-blog.html

If you want advice or thoughts about all things BRCA-related from someone who's a tad older and has done the screenings, you know where to find me!

Unknown said...

My family has the same mutation as you: 2024del5. I started a post on FORCE about this mutation as I would like to get as much information as possible about it. If you like, please consider adding what you know to it or email me directly: http://www.facingourrisk.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=34704