Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another update from the hospital

I'm sorry if this is the first time you're hearing this latest update. There is nobody that wishes we were not here more than me, but unfortunately these are the facts of the situation.

Today we began the process to bring Megan home. The bilirubin levels continue to rise, and there is no treatment that her body can handle in this condition. While there is always reason to hope that these levels come down and a treatment can be resumed, her oncologist thinks this is unlikely. Megan's liver is largely taken over by tumor mass and it will likely continue to degrade and fail. Although there are no signs of infection in recent blood cultures, urinalysis and chest X-Ray, she will continue oral antibiotics at home for precautionary reasons. If there was an infection that precipitated this, it appears to have cleared up, but it's also possible that this has always been the cancer.

Megan is relieved to be going home. Home hospice has been contacted and will be available to help keep her comfortable and treat her symptoms. She will be able to sleep more (no multiple-per-night wake-ups to check vital signs) and "visiting hours" will be much more flexible. And of course, she will be in the comfort and familiarity of her own home surrounded by those who love her, including her two favorite cats.

Right now she is scheduled to be discharged on Friday around 11. We expect to speak to the hospice nurse that afternoon and arrange a time to meet her. We'll discuss a schedule for her to visit, learn more about the inter-disciplinary team that will help us care for her (in addition to the nurse, there are a social worker, a chaplain and other people available) and, in general, better understand the care that hospice provides to make the remaining time that Megan has as comfortable and liveable as possible.


Megan also wrote a few words before asking me to summarize the above details:

Well, we finally got some factual information from the one person we trust - my oncologist. She leveled with us and told us that it's looking pretty bleak and that we're kind of out of treatment options. So, I'm going into home hospice where I can feel more comfortable and spend more time with the kitties and not drive Rusty crazy going back and forth. I envision visiting hours to be more flexible, but I know I'm starting to lose it a bit as well. I'll try to post again when I know more, but we all know how that's been going.

I will continue to post updates as I can. Thank you for your continued prayers, thoughts and well-wishes.

16 comments:

Celine said...

Prayers from half way around the country coming your way. Our tour people will be asked to keep you all in prayer, they are from all over the country and world, Please stay in peace, and let our Lord into your heart to comfort you. He has done many miracles and I am praying for restoration for you and your family. Above all I ask that you live in peace. I love you all! Celine ,Denny, Asher, Katie, Alicea and Cody, Donna & Jim too!

Anonymous said...

Megan you are an amazing woman, an incredible knitter, a genius with (ANY) technology, a devote Phish head, a dedicated runner, a beautiful-caring-giving and passionate wife, sister, daughter, cousin, niece, granddaughter, friend, co-worker, and fighter. I love you so much!!
I'm glad you will be comfortable around your loved ones. I'm sure your cats are happy to have you home again:^) I wish nothing more than for you to be at peace. There are still MANY thoughts, prayers, hugs&kisses coming your way!!
Love you, erica

Erin said...

Rusty - my heart breaks for you, for Megan, and all of your family and friends. I will keep hoping for a miracle. I'm glad she'll be home and comfortable. Megan, you are amazing! Such a fighter and a total inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers to all of you. After everything has settled down and if at all possible I would love to come to visit. Call or text 978-790-7615. I'll even bring my massage cream! :) M

Anonymous said...

Megan & Rusty- As always, you are in my thoughts. You have handled this situation with an unbelievable amount of courage, strength, and grace--and I think I speak for everyone who knows you when I say that I've learned so much about life and love through your actions. You've both fought the good fight and and are TRUE inspirations to each and every person you encounter. I am happy to know that you will soon be able to enjoy the comforts of home and your time together there (with the cats :)).

Love, KellyG.

Kabuzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Megan and Rusty you are in our continued prayers - Gary, Donna and Milla Painchaud

Jeanette said...

Lots of love to you guys. I hope I get to see you both soon and give some hugs in person. You've been on my mind constantly. I hope you feel the loving thoughts coming your way. As others have said here, you are both so brave and inspiring. Thank you for keeping us all updated and sharing your thoughts and experiences even when it's unspeakably hard.

Shannon said...

Megan,

I'm praying for you. It's been a very long time, and apparently we have both been through a lot. Words can't express how sorry I am to hear you are so very sick.
Love
Shannon Dillon Ventresca

Fran said...

Megan & Rusty,

You are in my thoughts and unceasing prayers! If there is anything that I can do, please let me know.

I would like very much to visit with you at your convenience. I'll wait to hear from you when the best time would be.

I love you both very much!!!

Izzy said...

Megan,

I had no idea this was going on. I am praying for you. And am so sorry this is happening to you and your family. You are an amazaing inspiration. Enjoy your time with your family.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Love,
Izzy Greenwood Lawton

Anonymous said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers for sometime. You don't know me but a relative of mine told me about your situation. I have followed your blog for a while. I am in awe of your courage, patience, determination, sense of humor and strength. My prayers continue for healing and peace. Patty

Leah said...

Megan, you are a wonderful person and a blessing to all who know you. You have grace and strength and courage, and you are an inspiration. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Love you all.

Doug & Melissa said...

I know what a frustrating feeling it is being out of control of the situation and not having all the answers you need. We feel for you and wish you are able to at least find some comfort in the warm blanket of being home.

-Doug & Melissa

Anonymous said...

Megan and Rusty, you are both in my thoughts, hopes, and prayers.

-Vinny

Angela said...

Megan over the past years I have been doing your nails we have became more like friends when I heard I could hardly breath and I dropped to the floor.I am always praying and thinking about you you.You are one of the most strongest women I know and I love you I. will continue to keep u and the family in my prayers if possible I would like to visit you.Thinking of you always Angie from St Cyr salon.