Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cycle 2

I just started Cycle 2 of my current treatment yesterday.  Today I'm home relaxing.  I almost didn't get treated because my white blood cell counts were borderline (and in an un-treatable range, depending on what information the infusion team was looking at), but my doctor decided to go ahead with the treatment and I'm going to get a Neulasta shot on Friday to boost my bone marrow/blood cell production.  That was a relief because I really wanted to get treated today because of a few events I have coming up soon.  Not getting treated this week would have thrown everything out of whack.  It's hard when I know that for 1 out of every 3 weekends it's going to be kind of impossible to do anything.

I have the half marathon coming up in 3 weeks.  I did a long run last week to make sure I was okay.  I told myself ahead of time that I would be happy with anything between 10 and 12 miles.  While my energy level was noticeably down, it was actually my left knee that gave me the most trouble.  Because I haven't been able to do as much activity as I should be doing, my muscles are a little weak and I'm having trouble with my I-T band.  I was able to do 10 miles, though.  I went to physical therapy for this a couple of years ago, so the plan is just to do the exercises the physical therapist recommended, use the dreaded foam roller on it daily, and walk it out during the big day if I really have to.  I've been training for this for about 4 months.  Quitting now would be so disappointing.

So far I'm doing okay.  I have a little bit of mild nausea, but nothing really troubling.  My doctor coached me on a slightly different schedule for my anti-nausea meds this time around, so it's possible that I might even do better than last time.  Only time will tell!

Not much progress on the waiting room sock... I had an interview yesterday for the young adult program at Dana Farber that took about an hour and a half (it was voluntary, but I like to help as much as I can), so I didn't get a whole lot of knitting done in the infusion room.

More later!

3 comments:

Mom said...

"Quitting now would be so disappointing.......".
Megan, I don't think the word "quitting" fits in your vocabulary. I know you'll evaluate everything before deciding to run the race and whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. :)

Love, Mom

K said...

I agree with your mother Megan!!! Great to read your updates, happy that you were able to stick to the schedule you were hoping for and, as usual, I'll be waiting for more updates! :)
-KellyG.

Unknown said...

Megan, you crack me up:^) I know you have been training for 4 months for this 1/2 marathon, but it doesn't have to happen that weekend! Just think, you can run 13.1 miles anytime you want to...I'm sure Rusty would be happy to be your official timer too. Remember the race is only a run to celebrate ALL the training and time you have put in!

I can't wait to see you and eat like we just burned 1300 calories, even if we don't run the 1/2 marathon we can still eat like we did!

Hugs&Kisses-erica