Thursday, July 7, 2011

More Xeloda

I went back to my oncologist's office last week to check in and get the pills for another round of Xeloda.  I was very excited to tell my doctor that I had stopped taking pain meds.  Therefore, I was really expecting a good set of numbers from my blood work.  A day earlier, I started feeling that referred pain in my left shoulder, and it had worsened on the day that I visited my oncologist.  That was a little concerning, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near as bad as the pain I'd felt a couple of weeks earlier.

I met with her nurse practitioner first, and we talked about some of the symptoms I had experienced in the last round.  None of it was so bad that they would reduce my dose, so that was encouraging.  Then we reviewed my blood work.

Unfortunately, it was not as good as I had hoped.  My liver function went from a number in the 50's to a 98, where 9-30 is normal.  Previously I had asked my doctor what a "really bad" number is for liver function, and she said she has some patients in the 300's.  My tumor markers, CA 27-29 had also jumped.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was last time, but now it's 131.  Normal is 0-38.

As you can probably guess, I was not pleased.  I was pretty discouraged.  When I got to talk to my oncologist about it, she was sympathetic that it wasn't at all what I had expected, and she told me that she was really encouraged by the way I actually felt.  She let me know that Xeloda itself can affect liver function, and that she's also seen tumor markers spike when a drug is working.  I just wish we didn't have to find reasons for why the numbers are bad.  I'd rather just see good numbers, dammit.

I'm a week into the second round, and the referred pain is definitely gone again.  I had it for about 3-4 days, so it does seem like the drug might be working.  It's possible that the week off gave the tumor an opportunity to grow, which is kind of what I think is happening. If that's the case, it seems like I'm taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  So, net forward :-)

On a crappy note, my feet are really bothering me.  It was my day off today so I got a massage and she concentrated on my feet for a bit, which really helped.  I have some new stuff to put on them, so I hope it improves.  We shall see.

I'm getting a scan next Thursday.  Tell me something good.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm THRILLED to hear that you are feeling better. I'm sending all the good thoughts, vibes, positivity and anything else that I can your way.

Jeanette said...

I really hate waiting, so I can only imagine how you're feeling waiting for answers and results. Meanwhile I hope you continue to feel better and be as pain free as possible.

I miss you and I hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you're pain free. You're right about the 2 steps forward, and 1 step backward...you're gaining ground! I know the reasons for the "bad" numbers is a downer, but those reasons are true and positive, so hugs them, and kiss them and love them:^)
Megan, I love you and can't wait to see you!